One of the most inspiring sessions at the 2011 LA SCBWI Conference was Laurie Halse Anderson’s talk on crafting a creative life and how to find lost time and creativity. I’m doing a series of posts from her talk but the following makes me want to stand up and cheer! We all can find time to be creative and write! We need only to grow the following attitudes into our soul!
Before her talk Laurie Halse Anderson said she believes in honesty! The authors she saw speak at SCBWI when she was first starting out had the courage to tell her the truth, so she saw her session as her chance to tell us the truth. So here’s the truth (but she says it comes with love!).
Grow the Following Attitudes into Your Soul:
1) 24 hours a day is MORE than enough time to meet the demands in your life! Let me repeat that: 24 hours a day is MORE than enough time to meet the demands in your life!
2) The universe WANTS you to be creative! But it also expects you to do the work. The children are waiting for your books!
3) Change = discomfort, but discomfort will not kill you! When we get stuck in our lives change can seem like a huge thing. But you can deal with it. You can build yourself back up. Pace yourself. You have the strength for growth.
4) You have the intelligence and desire to reclaim your creativity and lost time! But are you brave enough? People in your life might not like it if you make this choice.
5) You have more control over how you spend your precious time and energy than you want to admit! Harsh, but true! Yes, deep down inside you know it’s true.
Now Get Writing!
Laurie Halse Anderson is the New York Times-bestselling author who writes for kids of all ages. Known for tackling tough subjects with humor and sensitivity, her work has earned numerous ALA and state awards. Two of her books, Speak and Chains, were National Book Award Finalists. Mother of four and wife of one, Laurie lives in Northern New York, where she likes to watch the snowfall as she writes.