I sent my query letters out this month. It’s been a long haul of research, drafting the query, revising, throwing it away, and re-drafting again. Then comes the agent research, reading blogs, making a list, sending out the queries, and the dreaded waiting. Yes, it’s been a process. It feels a little bit like writing a whole new novel!
If you’re in the agent/query stage of your journey, I thought I’d share some fabulous blog posts and websites that have been helpful in this joyful querying campaign!
Why You Need An Agent:
- Why You Need An Agent: Awesome post by agent Natalie Lakosil.
- Why You Should Never Submit Without and Agent: An editor’s perspective.
Finding the Perfect Match – Researching Agents:
- Literary Rambles: This is hands down the best site for researching kidlit agents. Use the list in the left-hand sidebar. This website has collected quotes, submission policies, and a plethora of amazing info on each person listed!
- Query Tracker: A free database of literary agents.
- Publisher’s Marketplace: Another great database to research agents and their deals.
Tips and Trick on How to Write and Amazing Query Letter:
- Crafting a Winning Query Letter: This is an overview of one of the best seminars I’ve attended on querying. Agent Dan Lazar demystifies the query process!
- Query Letter Suicide: How NOT to write a query letter. Tips and tricks from agent Jill Corcoran.
- Tips for Pitching and Querying Agents: An easy to understand overview of how to create a one-line to one-paragraph pitch of your book, from agent Mary Kole.
- Querying Do’s and Don’ts: Agent Rebecca Sherman gives you the down-low on what will work and what wont.
- How to Get an Agent Salivating to Read Your Manuscript: Another great overview on how to query, from agent Jill Corcoran.
- Query Letter: Quote of the Week: The best quick-snippet about what a query letter should be!
When You Get “The Call”:
- 10 Questions to Ask and Agent When You Get the Call: Good things to think about.
- Agent Janet Reid’s Questions: A great list!
- Literary Ramble’s List of Questions: There’s a list of links at the bottom of this post with even more questions to ask.
How to Deal with Waiting…and Waiting…and Waiting:
- How to Survive the Waiting: A great post from agent Natalie Lakosil. I needed to hear this!
Dealing with Rejection:
- Rejection Rocks! A post by me on the topic (with a great list of famous people who racked up the rejection slips).
- 14 Best-Selling Books that Were Repeatedly Rejected: You’ll be in good company!
Never give up! In the words of Dory from Finding Nemo: “Just keep swimming.”
Keep on writing!
Tags: Query Letters